Storefront Project - Eagle Woman Beadwork

 

Aho, mitakuyepi!
Welcome to Oldtown Albuquerque, New Mexico! 



    This is the location of where my store, Eagle Woman Beadwork, will open soon! Eagle Woman Beadwork will be a place where indigenous artwork can be sold to tourists and locals alike, with a major focus on beaded jewelry and accessories. My store will be a place for you to purchase Native-made, traditional artwork, including pieces like jackets and clothing. 

Example of Lakota or Ojibwa Artwork

    The mission of my store is to get as many traditional, indigenous artists to be able to sell their work and creations to a wider audience, no matter who it is. Of course, a major focus of Eagle Woman Beadwork is appealing to those of Native culture and ethnicity, so with presentation of valid tribal identification, Native individuals will be able to purchase items at a discount. 

    As well as selling artwork to those who would be interested in purchase, I will also sell items like bulk porcupine quills, hide and buckskin, silver-center beads and beadwork backing sourced from Natives to artists who need these supplies to create their work. My store's focus is on creating an ethical and inter-personal relationship with other indigenous artists and creatives, just like my blog. 

My store's location in Oldtown ABQ means that I will not have a lot of space to sell, or much room to change my interior, since these buildings are all on the National historical register. 

I want my store to have a lot to offer my customers, so it will look somewhat cluttered, just due to the nature of the space where the store is located. 
    Since I want my supplies and artwork to be widely available to anyone who would like to purchase them, there will also be a major online store component to the physical location. Artists from more locations around the United States will be able to put up their artworks on my website for sale as a sort of gallery function. In addition to this, the supplies offered in store will also be available online with shipping across the United States and Canada, with a wider selection from those who, like artists, may not be near New Mexico or Albuquerque. 

    The opening ceremony will include a traditional blessing, smudging, songs and prayer from tribal elders, and will take place during the Gathering of Nations in ABQ, in April of 2024. I hope you all will stop by Eagle Woman Beadwork! Mitakuye Oyasin, aho! Toksa, Akhe! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Letter to the Realeather Scrap Bag

Ode to My Ancestors - Why Beading is so Important to Me

The Importance of Passing the Wisdom On - Aging Artists Would Mean End of Culture