Looking For Indigenous Supplies

 

As an indigenous creator of beadwork and other regalia, it is important to me to support my other indigenous brothers and sisters in their own small (and larger!) business ventures. This is why I primarily buy beads online or through family members, and have them shipped to me at a greater cost. 

While it may be true that I could purchase much cheaper Czech beads from big box stores like Joann Fabrics or Walmart, I find that the cold business practices do not reflect the kind of values taught to me by my elders. Though it drives up the cost of the regalia I produce, I find that indigenous-oriented and indigenous-owned brands are more helpful and have wider varieties of supplies that I would find useful. 


Not only is it easier to buy from wider varieties of products like Czech beads, waxed thread, bone and trade beads, and all other manner of supplies, I feel better about buying sacred materials from homegrown and Native sources. For example, I prefer purchasing leather and buckskin from indigenous individuals. I will not purchase sage or sweetgrass from a non-Native American, because that would be totally morally corrupt in the traditional teachings of my elders. So, both culturally and spiritually, buying Native benefits me, and those who are buying my regalia. 

Here are a few places I purchase my beads and supplies from, check them out! They offer more than just beads and other crafting supplies, oftentimes they will also offer beadwork jewelry and other regalia for purchase, so take a look: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Letter to the Realeather Scrap Bag

Cultural Appropriation of Beadwork and Native Designs

The Importance of Passing the Wisdom On - Aging Artists Would Mean End of Culture